White Elephant Safari Lodge
Pongola Game Reserve (South), Kwa-Zulu Natal
Stars : 4
Capacity : 16
Price : R3230
Eight luxurious safari tents; each with ball and claw bath and outdoor canvas shower, provide a secluded retreat in the unspoilt Pongola Game Reserve wilderness. Stylish dining, sophisticated simplicity, attention to detail, sweeping views and a myriad of bush and water-based game activities promise a unique African experience.
- Terrace and Garden
- Wooden deck with fireplace
- Secret hide
- Wedding Venue
- Guided Game Bird and Bush Walks
- Game Drives
- Boat Cruises
- Fishing half day and full day hire
- Rhino Walks
- ZUMAT Scenic Flights and visits to rural clinics
- Little Legends Children Package special activities
Both the White Elephant Lodges are easily accessible from the N2 (national route between Johannesburg and Durban) and Pongola Game Reserve is a low-risk malaria area.
Pongola Game Reserve, the first proclaimed game reserve in Africa, is host to four of the `Big 5` species. Wildlife includes buffalo, elephant, rhino, leopard, hyena, giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, warthog, 12 different antelope species, over 350 bird species and an interesting array of smaller mammal and insect life. Beautiful views, glorious sunsets, therapeutic silence, game drives, guided walks, boat cruises on the vast expanse of water, rhino walks, our unique `elephanting` experience, scenic flights, an insight into our research projects and behind-the-scenes conservation operations, cultural tours ensure a rich, varied experience.
ECO TOURISM EFFORTS:
White Elephant Safaris strives towards Fair-trade in Tourism by supporting various conservation initiatives, community projects, and social activities, in an effort to help improve our environment and the daily lives of their employees, surrounding communities and wildlife.
White Elephant Safaris support and initiate the following:
1. Recycling 2. Electricity(Low voltage/energy saver globes where possible)
3. White Elephant Soccer team: We support the soccer games against local clubs by providing our staff with time off for matches and transport for team & supporters.
4. Community Projects: We endeavour to support local community projects such a Ilala weavers and KZNSA Gallery by purchasing beadwork for promotional gifts & curio shop stock.
5. Community upliftment: donate used linen and towels to the Ubombo children’s home, stationary, paper, magazines and books to local schools. We transport water daily to local community homes especially during drier months.
6. Game Reserve Space for Elephants Foundation (SEF) Trust Fund - The money collected from gate fees is donated.
7. Procurement: recruit new staff primarily from one of our neighbouring communities.
8. HIV awareness programmes for staff
9. Tourism Awareness (TA) programmes have been donated to local schools and through SEF we hope to continue this distribution of TA programmes. We have hosted training courses
10. Promote community projects such as visits to cultural villages to our guests, as additional activities in the area.
Activities and Facilities
- Wake Up calls
- Room Service
- En-suite Bathroom
- Plug Adapter
- Hair Dryer
- Coffee Stations
- Mosquito Screening
- Laundry Service
- Air Conditioning
- Outdoor Shower
- Viewing Deck
- Qualified Guides
- Boma Dinners
- Bush walks
- Cultural Tours
- Boat Cruises
- Wildlife Interactions
- Horse Riding
- Night Drives
- Game Walks
- Game Drive
- Big 5
- Honeymoon Suite
- Research Area
NOTE : Some of the activities and facilities are not covered by the rate quoted and may be surchargeable.
R2990 per person sharing - May to August 2013
R3050 per person sharing - September to October 2013
R3230 per person sharing - November 2013 to April 2014
No children under 12 years allowed - except under special conditions.
- Accommodation in luxury safari tents
- Pre-activity continental breakfast, brunch (late breakfast) & menu dinner at the lodge.
- Afternoon High Tea
- Two Eco Activities per day which include game drive, guided walk, boat cruise, tiger fishing, elephanting, black rhino tracking or canoeing - depending on weather conditions.
- Other beverages
- Telephone & fax
- Laundry service
- Personal purchases
- Transfers to and from the Camp
- Pongola Game Reserve entrance fee